Dual Boot With Win XP - Debian First?

I want to dual boot windows XP and Debian.  I've seen the guides, but they all recommend that users have Windows XP installed first, and then install Debian.  This allows you to set it up with the default Debian installation to use GRUB / etc. and dual boot.

However, I won't have a copy of Win XP for my new machine for a month or two probably.  I'd like to go ahead and install Debian, otherwise the new computer will be a paperweight.

Is it possible to install Debian first and then Windows XP later on?  Can you change the Debian configurations?  Is it not too difficult?  Impossible?

I'm installing on two separate hard drives, so partitions shouldn't be a big problem I don't imagine.  Debian on one, XP on the other.