Re: set up Xserver for etch upgrade

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 06:09:42 -0000, rocky wrote:

[...]

> This is the output of the command
>
> $-------------------code begin----------------------------$
> LIJIANG:~# awk '/Section "Files"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "Files"
>         FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
>         FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
>         FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
>         FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
>         # path to defoma fonts
>         FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/
> TrueType"
> EndSection
> $---------------------code end ------------------------------$

That looks OK to me.

> But I still get the below error
> $----------------error begin-----------------------------$
> (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
> error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
>     xkb_keycodes             { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)" };
>     xkb_types                { include "complete" };
>     xkb_compatibility        { include "complete" };
>     xkb_symbols              { include "pc(pc105)+us" };
>     xkb_geometry             { include "pc(pc104)" };
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> $----------------error end-----------------------------$
>
> Comment out the glx module in Module section would eliminate the above
> (EE) problem.

The AIGLX error should not keep X from starting. We can worry about it
later.

>               but the rest errors remain. If I copy the SecurityPolicy
> file from my Ubuntu machine to Debian box's /etc/X11/xserver. the only
> problems left are xkb_ related errors and the fatal error part.

Regarding the SecurityPolicy file: See my other message.

The xkb_ output is normal, it just tells you how the keyboard is
configured.

We still need to get rid of the "could not open default font 'fixed'"
fatal error.

> I even aptitude purge the x-window-system away and load it back. But
> it still not work. Do I need to reinstall the whole Debian Etch?

No, you definitely do not have to reinstall Etch just to get X working.
At most you need to purge all Xorg (and old XFree86) packages and
install them again. However, before you do that check out these links:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#s-xorg
http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7#head-fdbbfad9b02233b11ba1572a631827697766afc4

According to the Debian wiki, I would try this:

dpkg --purge --force-depends xfonts-base
aptitude install xfonts-base

If that still does not help then you should post the output of:

dpkg -l x{org,server,fonts}\* | awk '/^ii/{print $2,$3}'

          Florian   |