Re: Twinview Monitor Issues (Monitor #s and Resolution)

On Monday 25 June 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 05:46:50PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > >
> > > See the nvidia driver document:
> > >
> > >   /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx/README.gz
> > >
> > >         Option "TwinViewOrientation" "string"
> > >                 Controls the relationship between the two display
> > > devices when using TwinView.  Takes one of the following values:
> > > "RightOf" "LeftOf" "Above" "Below" "Clone".  Please see APPENDIX
> > > I for details. Default: string is NULL.
> >
> > That doesn't effect it.  It changes the position, but even when the
> > monitors were swapped (as in left for right), it didn't change the
> > display numbers.
> >
> > I don't mean first as in leftmost, I mean as in the display number,
> > since it seems certain things always come up on monitor #1.
>
> just out of curiousity, which monitor is the live one when the
> machine boots?

Both.  When KDE is loading, the wallpaper comes up on the widescreen and
the loading screen comes up on the 3x4 monitor.

> also, doesn't mouse position affect this?

Not at all.

> It certainly does in my
> dual-head rig. Whichever screen had the mouse gets the window except
> for some odd things (xfce config windows in particular like to show
> up in the left monitor no matter what, but that could be an artifact
> of xinerama, I suppose). The xscreensaver unlock dialog is always
> interesting...

I have my panel on only the widescreen, so most of the time I open a
window, it's from a menu or a program already on the widescreen and
they tend to open up there, but some dialog boxes come up on the other
one.

One bit of interesting trivia.  When I first set it up, the screensaver
showed up on the widescreen with the other going blank.  Now it covers
both screens, but the center is not far from the left side of the
widescreen.  I switch screensavers and now any of the ones that make it
look like you're racing through a tube or anything like that don't work
visually because the path you're supposedly following is cut up between
the monitors.

Hal