Re: how to install ntfs-3g from etch-backports

baldyeti wrote:
> Thanks for your replies gents.
>
> It seems reliability is not fully guaranteed unless
> one runs under 2.6.20+ with fuse 2.6.9+. Etch fulfils
> neither requirement. Apt-cache tells me I could install
> 2.6.21 (probably thanks to etch-backports).

To install an new kernel you need package linux-image-2.6.21*. I cannot find
this for Etch at backports.org or anywhere else. (You have probably seen
linux-headers-2.6.21*).

I think that you will have to build the kernel yourself [1]. It's not too
difficult and you can always boot your original kernel from the grub menu if
things go wrong.

> Do you
> think the kernel upgrade would take care of fuse,
> and then I'd only need to compile ntfs-3g from source?

You have to compile fuse too - see my previous post. I think that you will need
to load it as a module in your new kernel.

If you have spare HDD space you could install a second Debian Etch system. Then
either build and experiment with your new kernel there or upgrade it to Sid
(Unstable) where everything you want is available from Apt.

Good luck!

[1] http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian_etch

--
Chris.