Re: problems with radeon driver (solved)

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 10:47 +0800, Bob wrote:
> Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:26 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am running etch in an amd64 system with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9200
> >> (AGP) video card. The ATI driver from x.org doesn't work with this card,
> >> after a small GUI activity, the screen freezes. I've reported this
> >> problem in the past. The only workaround I've found was to install the
> >> fglrx-driver package, run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and select the
> >> fglrx driver instead the ati one. No more video freezes. But now totem
> >> doesn't start, I get the message: The Application "totem" has quit
> >> unexpectedly. This problem has to do exclusively with the fglrx driver.
> >> I experimented with the ati and fglrx drivers in another i386 machine,
> >> and totem didn't start with the fglrx driver. It works fine with the ati
> >> driver from x.org.
> >>

> > After a *lot* of googling, I discovered that the problem with the xorg
> > driver is the glx module. Disabling it I can use the xorg ati driver
> > without problems. And I can run totem and grace too! (they didn't work
> > with the driver from ATI) fortunately the machine is only for work, so I
> > can do perfectly well without the glx module... I guess
> >

> Mmm, I use glx on 3 different radeons, what page suggested that was the
> problem?

what kind of radeon are they? the problem seems to be with the amd64
port. I didn't keep the page, sorry. Only the message regarding the glx
module. But the prove is that now, with out the glx module loaded, I can
use the system.

> When the screen freezes is it just the screen?  Can you ssh in and have
> a look at x log?

when freezes, the only way to go out is with a hard reboot, which takes
you to another screen which freezes again... Mouse works, but I can do
anything. x log shows nothing...

regards

Marcelo

--