Re: lost sound after dist-upgrade

Kushal Kumaran <kushal <at> it.iitb.ac.in> writes:
> Check your xmms preferences.  Is xmms using OSS or alsa output?  OSS
> is deprecated.

OK.  I changed the xmms output plugin from oss to alsa.  Now I don't
get an error message, but I also get no sound.

>> I notice that I don't seem to have any alsa packages installed.  None were
>> removed during the upgrade.
>
> I don't understand.  If they weren't removed during upgrade and you
> don't have them now, then you didn't have them installed before.
> alsa-base and alsa-utils should be the packages you want.  Installing
> alsa-utils gets you alsaconf and alsamixer.

Yes, this is where I am confused.  I read that Debian with a 2.6
kernel loads alsa modules by default?  I was surprised that I
didn't have any alsa packages installed since I had sound before
switching from the 2.6.8 kernel to the 2.6.18 kernel.  So, I was
hesitant to install them, fearing I might make things worse.

Fortunately, after installing alsa-base (which required
linux-sound-base lsof) and alsa-utils, I have sound again.

I notice that the module list is almost the same.  Now snd_intel8x0
and snd_ac97_codec are not loaded.  Maybe that was part of the problem.
Also, /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer are now present, for whatever that is worth.

Thanks.

Gary Parker