Re: lost sound after dist-upgrade

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:15:11AM +0000, Gary Parker wrote:
> I recently lost sound after a dist-upgrade to Debian 4.0.  Not sure why, though
> I do have a new kernel, 2.6.18-4-486, replacing 2.6.8-2-386.
>
> Now xmms gives an error message, "couldn't open audio."

Check your xmms preferences.  Is xmms using OSS or alsa output?  OSS
is deprecated.

> <snip details>
>
> I thought that maybe sound was muted so I tried:
> $ setmixer -V vol 70,70
> Error opening /dev/mixer
>
> Unfortunately /dev/mixer does not exist.  Neither does /dev/dsp.

/dev/mixer and /dev/dsp are OSS devices.  To get them, you'll need to
load the snd-pcm-oss and snd-pcm-mixer modules.

> I just downloaded the alsa mixer gui.  When it starts the master volume appears
> to be muted, but when I adjust the sound I still get the same message from xmms.
>
> I notice that I don't seem to have any alsa packages installed.  None were
> removed during the upgrade.

I don't understand.  If they weren't removed during upgrade and you
don't have them now, then you didn't have them installed before.
alsa-base and alsa-utils should be the packages you want.  Installing
alsa-utils gets you alsaconf and alsamixer.

HTH.

--
Kushal Kumaran                               kushal@it.iitb.ac.in