Re: how to find the specs of a monitor

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:38:30AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com>:
> >  Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > > nothing on the back or bottom or anywhere?
> > > okay. do this
> > >
> > > X -configure
> >
> >  When I run
> >
> >  X -configure
> >
> >  The Xorg.0.log is about 20 Kb. Since it is a bit big, I uploaded it to
> >  http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/Xorg.0.log_20070621.txt

that log shows a seg fault. Does 'X -configure' produce
/root/xorg.conf.new?

that log is from the -configure run. What I'd like to see is the
output from

X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

if one is generated. But I suspect its not since the X server
dies. Otherwise, you're kind of shooting blind, but if you can get
xorg to recognise the second "pipe" or whatever they call a potential
video output, then it will probably detect the monitor reasonably
well. At least enough for you to get a model out of the xorg logs.

I don't know if we've covered this, but what are your options for the
second video output? is it BIOS controlled? is there a hot key
involved? It may be that the video out isn't turned on??

> Hey Kamaraju.  I can't see anything useful in there.  I'd suggest
> hwinfo, but no telling if it would see the second monitor and report
> it.  Might be worth a try anyway?
>
> I think your best bet is that "read EDID" suggestion.

Both hwinfo and read-edid fail to show the second monitor in my dual
head rig (just got it set up -- w00t!)...

  Too bad you
> can't just hook it up to another box and boot Knoppix.  That'd sort it
> out soon enough.  Bon chance.  :-P

that's the ticket there...