Re: how to find the specs of a monitor

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 03:37:19PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>> I am trying to setup a dual screen from a laptop with another LCD
>> monitor. However, this new monitor came without any manuals,
>> documentation etc., I know that it is working but I just dont know the
>> specs. How can I find out what its Horizontal frequency and vertical
>> refresh rates etc. are, so that I input them into the monitor section of
>> xorg.conf file?
>>
>> If it matters, the laptop as such runs Etch (stable).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> try the read-edid package and specifically
>
> get-ided | parse-edid
>
> as root should give some good information.

This is what I am getting with the above command. I think it is giving
information about only one monitor. If I am correct that information
belongs to the laptop's monitor. What about the external monitor's specs?

$sudo get-edid | parse-edid
parse-edid: parse-edid version 1.4.1
get-edid: get-edid version 1.4.1

        Performing real mode VBE call
        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f00 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

        VBE version 300
        VBE string at 0xc0248 "ATI ATOMBIOS"

VBE/DDC service about to be called
        Report DDC capabilities

        Performing real mode VBE call
        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

        Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers
        Monitor and video card combination supports DDC2 transfers
        0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer
        Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called
        Read EDID

        Performing real mode VBE call
        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

parse-edid: EDID checksum passed.

        # EDID version 1 revision 3
Section "Monitor"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:f
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fe
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fe
        Identifier "SEC:5032"
        VendorName "SEC"
        ModelName "SEC:5032"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:f
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fe
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fe
        # DPMS capabilities: Active off:no  Suspend:no  Standby:no

        Mode    "1680x1050"     # vfreq 59.999Hz, hfreq 64.799kHz
                DotClock        119.230000
                HTimings        1680 1728 1760 1840
                VTimings        1050 1052 1058 1080
                Flags   "-HSync" "-VSync"