Re: Sound recorder records only silence

x_debian-user_x@nospam.pz.podzone.net wrote:
>> 1. In the past I have had problems caused by the Enlightenment Sound Daemon. You
>> can turn it off in Gnome from the Desktop menu:
>>
>> Desktop -> Preferences -> Sound -> Sounds tab -> Enable software sound mixing
>> (ESD) (untick)
>
> It was already off (unticked).  Also I checked the following:
>
> ~# ps alx | grep art
> 0     0 11137  3845  18   0   2848   712 pipe_w S+   pts/2      0:00 grep art
> ~# ps alx | grep esd
> 0     0 11143  3845  18   0   2848   708 -      R+   pts/2      0:00 grep esd
> ~# ps alx | grep alsa
> 0     0 11147  3845  18   0   2852   716 pipe_w S+   pts/2      0:00 grep alsa
>

>> 2. Have you turned the mic on in the mixer? Try setting your levels in
>> alsamixer. In the past, this has worked better than alsamixergui.
>
> Using alsamixer:
>
> In 'Capture view', above Mic is written CAPTUR, also above Capture is
> written CAPTUR and the Capture slider is set to 100<>100.
>
> In 'Playback view' the Mic slider is set to 100, and not muted [00].
>

> With these setting, the mic sounds are heard through the PC speakers
> but Audacity records only silence.

I'm afraid that's all I can think of. You may be right about the problem being
with the driver. I had to switch from using my expensive PCI card to using the
built-in sound because the driver would not record in stereo.

You could try building the latest driver - details on the alsa website [1].

Perhaps other people will have some ideas.

Good luck.

[1] http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Cirrus_Logic

--
Chris.