Re: Sound recorder records only silence

x_debian-user_x@nospam.pz.podzone.net wrote:
>> Try running alsaconf as root and check that you are configuring the right sound
>> card (there may be sound built into the motherboard as well as a PCI card).
>
> Hi, thanks for the suggestions.
>
> I did already run alsaconf as root prior to the transcript pasted in
> my last post.  There is no PCI sound card, only the onboard sound
> which I am using.

[...]
> Any other suggestions much appreciated...

1. In the past I have had problems caused by the Enlightenment Sound Daemon. You
can turn it off in Gnome from the Desktop menu:

Desktop -> Preferences -> Sound -> Sounds tab -> Enable software sound mixing
(ESD) (untick)

2. Have you turned the mic on in the mixer? Try setting your levels in
alsamixer. In the past, this has worked better than alsamixergui.

--
Chris.