Re: Sound recorder records only silence

> Try running alsaconf as root and check that you are configuring the right sound
> card (there may be sound built into the motherboard as well as a PCI card).

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

I did already run alsaconf as root prior to the transcript pasted in
my last post.  There is no PCI sound card, only the onboard sound
which I am using.

What is bizarre is that I have this same problem on two very different
machines - a Dell Precision 420 desktop, and an IBM Thinkpad T21
laptop.  Which leads to the suspicion either of a bug in 'etch', or
more likely something that I have done wrong.  It certainly looks like
a bug from where I'm sitting, even if it works for everyone else! ;-/

Any other suggestions much appreciated...

Cheers,
-bernie.

(email address is valid)