Re: HP Pavilion 6360 with Debian

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 6:30 pm, Telly Williams wrote:
> How's everyone?
>
>     I'm about to install Debian (with Gnome) on an HP Pavilion 6360 for
> my friend's mother.  The HP takes a maximum of 256MB's of ram.
> Originally I was going to re-install Windows XP for her, but that
> doesn't look like a good idea from a SPEED perspective (it was going
> incredibly slow when I obtained it from her).
>
>     I wanted to get an opinion from someone on whether or not this will
> run well or not for her.  I personally think that it will, based on the
> documentation I've read about the very old computers that can be used
> with Linux, but I wanted to get a second thought.  Thanks.  ~Telly

Actually, if it is speed that you are looking for, tone-down the eyecandy in
KDE and set he up with that. Just makeing the panels non-transparent,
disabling their hiding animation, and tool-tip pop-ups, KDE runs fine with
only 256MB. In fact, I am running it right now on an 800mhz P3 with 256,
using transparent panels while running beagled, gaim, apache2, mysql
services. I rarely seem to swap, if ever.
--
Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com>
Location: GA, USA              Web: http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com