Re: Sensible way to install packages from testing & unstable?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:50:06 +0200
Christopher Nelson <chris@cavein.org> wrote:

> On 2007-06-20, Bill Thompson <Mahagonny@Speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:48:32 -0700
> > JoseC.Rodriguez@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I want to install the ntfs-3g driver, which I don't find in
> >> the Etch repositories. I read that I can add the "testing"
> >> and "unstable" distributions to my sources.list, make
> >> "stable" as the default in apt.conf and go for it. Is this
> >> perfectly all right or should I do something else? I remember
> >> somebody in this list recommending not to mix distributions
> >> at all under threat of death.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Jose
> >>

> > Since the packages in a Debian system are interconnected, it is
> > not wise to install packages directly from one distribution to
> > another. Sometimes it works fine, but sometimes it will install
> > dependent programs that conflict with other parts of the Debian
> > stable.
> >
> > My advice would be to learn how to re-compile or "backport" a
> > package from unstable to stable when necessary. You can get
> > more information on backports here:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Backports?highlight=%28backport%29
>
> Or check backports.org where someone has done the work for
> you ;)  The ntfs-3g package is currently listed there.
>
> But, as they say, knowledge is power, so I would still recommend
> a perusal of the documentation on building for yourself.

Oh, so that is what it was. "Backports" was to me one those
ethereal words you hear in the air, never being sure what
do they exactly mean.

I too prefer to learn how to do it,
although a quick look at some guides left me with mixing feelings
about it. It should be fine, though.

Thanks for the replies
Jose