Re: Sensible way to install packages from testing & unstable?

On 2007-06-20, Bill Thompson <Mahagonny@Speakeasy.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:48:32 -0700
> JoseC.Rodriguez@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I want to install the ntfs-3g driver, which I don't find in the Etch
>> repositories. I read that I can add the "testing" and "unstable"
>> distributions to my sources.list, make "stable" as the default in
>> apt.conf and go for it. Is this perfectly all right or should I do
>> something else? I remember somebody in this list recommending not to
>> mix distributions at all under threat of death.
>>
>> Regards
>> Jose
>>

> Since the packages in a Debian system are interconnected, it is
> not wise to install packages directly from one distribution to
> another. Sometimes it works fine, but sometimes it will install
> dependent programs that conflict with other parts of the Debian
> stable.
>
> My advice would be to learn how to re-compile or "backport" a package
> from unstable to stable when necessary. You can get more information on
> backports here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Backports?highlight=%28backport%29

Or check backports.org where someone has done the work for you ;)  The
ntfs-3g package is currently listed there.

But, as they say, knowledge is power, so I would still recommend a
perusal of the documentation on building for yourself.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Always look over your shoulder because everyone is watching and plotting