Re: problems with radeon driver

Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 07:27 +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
>> Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am running etch in an amd64 system with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9200
>> > (AGP) video card. The ATI driver from x.org doesn't work with this
>> > card, after a small GUI activity, the screen freezes. I've reported
>> > this problem in the past. The only workaround I've found was to install
>> > the fglrx-driver package, run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and select
>> > the fglrx driver instead the ati one. No more video freezes. But now
>> > totem doesn't start, I get the message: The Application "totem" has
>> > quit unexpectedly. This problem has to do exclusively with the fglrx
>> > driver. I experimented with the ati and fglrx drivers in another i386
>> > machine, and totem didn't start with the fglrx driver. It works fine
>> > with the ati driver from x.org.
>> >
>> > regards
>> >
>> > Marcelo
>> >

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thank you for your answer
>
>> Hi Marcelo,
>> I'm running Debian Lenny with an ATI Radeon 9550 card. I'm using the
>> fglrx driver and have no problems at all.
>>  I'm running a 32-bit system but ATI
>> supports AMD64 also so you should have no problems. My advice would be to
>> remove all your fglrx packages and build them anew based on the
>> ATI-driver-installer that you can get on the ATI site.
>> Note that ATI gives
>> the following message:  32-Bit packages must be installed for 64-Bit
>> Linux drivers to install or work.
>> You'll also want to get rid of /usr/src/modules/fglrx
>> Note that you need to get the 8.28.8 driver-installer since that's the
>> last version that supports your card.
>
> The fglrx-driver package from the debian stable (etch) repository is
> built using the 8.28.8 binary version of the fglrx driver from ATI. So,
> I don't know if rebuilding anew the package in my etch system makes any
> difference at all. Basically, I should do the same thing the debian
> maintainer of the fglrx-driver package have done. I am right?
<snip>
> Regards
>
> Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,
All I can tell you is that I was never able to get 3D acceleration to work
using the packages. I believe that the fglrx drivers are kernel-specific so
the fglrx module must be rebuilt for the specific kernel you have. In any
event, using this method I have a very happy video card and I get 3D
acceleration. All I can say is if the package method is not doing it, then
try my suggestion and let us know how you make out.
Cheers,
Jonathan