Re: problems with radeon driver

Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running etch in an amd64 system with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9200
> (AGP) video card. The ATI driver from x.org doesn't work with this card,
> after a small GUI activity, the screen freezes. I've reported this
> problem in the past. The only workaround I've found was to install the
> fglrx-driver package, run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and select the
> fglrx driver instead the ati one. No more video freezes. But now totem
> doesn't start, I get the message: The Application "totem" has quit
> unexpectedly. This problem has to do exclusively with the fglrx driver.
> I experimented with the ati and fglrx drivers in another i386 machine,
> and totem didn't start with the fglrx driver. It works fine with the ati
> driver from x.org.
>
> regards
>
> Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,
I'm running Debian Lenny with an ATI Radeon 9550 card. I'm using the fglrx
driver and have no problems at all. I'm running a 32-bit system but ATI
supports AMD64 also so you should have no problems. My advice would be to
remove all your fglrx packages and build them anew based on the
ATI-driver-installer that you can get on the ATI site. Note that ATI gives
the following message:  32-Bit packages must be installed for 64-Bit Linux
drivers to install or work.
You'll also want to get rid of /usr/src/modules/fglrx
Note that you need to get the 8.28.8 driver-installer since that's the last
version that supports your card. You then build the necessary debs using
the --buildpkg Debian/[sid|lenny|etch] switch. You install the debian
packages you've created and then use module-assistant to build the driver
for your kernel. That should sort you out.
Cheers,
Jonathan