Re: question about network card setting in Debian Etch - please help

thank you Andrew

the content is
iface eth0 inet static
     address 10.0.0.2
     network 10.0.0.0
     netmask 255.0.0.0
     gateway 10.0.0.1

My question is:

dmesg to grep eth can show "eth0 and eth1" for intel
card
but ifconfig for the intel card is eth7 and eth8
respectively.

When I put eth0 in the /network/interface and reboot
again, eth0 does not exist. I have to put eth7
instead. but why dmesg is different ifconfig.

how and why debian defines the network card?

thank you again

http://farechase.yahoo.com/