Re: kqemu on Sid

On Tuesday 19 June 2007, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I installed qemu on Sid.
> >
> > But Sid's kqemu is backlevelled: it depends on a non-existing 2.6.18
> > kernel.
> >
> > So I compiled/installed
> > http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/kqemu-1.3.0pre11.tar.gz
> > and that went uneventful.
> >
> > *However...* when I try to boot XP with:
> >
> > qemu -m 256 -localtime -hda /hda7/xp.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -fda /dev/fd0
> >
> > it hangs the whole system absolutely solid: stops all the clocks+applets
> > and needs the red button.
> >
> > Without kqemu it boots XP.
> >
> > Does anybody run qemu with kqemu installed successfully?
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> However you cannot use the kqemu Sid package because that depends upon a
> non-existent kernel.

The source package is also on Sid. Try installing that using m-a (the Debian
way but I have also numerous times used sources from the site and compiled
manually and simply copied the .ko to it correct place), change that
modprobed/kqemu file and try again. I do not have XP images around to try but
qemu runs most everything.

For an alternative, you might try virtualbox (they have an opensource version,
a free binary and a paid product). Runs some stuff better then qemu, somewhat
different approach. But it does not run everyting qemu does.