Re: question about network card setting in Debian Etch - please help

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:10:03AM -0700, ann kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have question about network card in etch
>
> 1/ I have 2 optical fibre cards.
> one is Intel 2 ports and one is Dlink 1 port
>
> "dmesg | grep eth" can show
> e1000: eth0  intel pro/1000 network connection
> e1000: eth1  intel pro/1000 network connection
> eth2: D-link DGE-550SX
>
> but when I type ifconfig?
> it only shows eth7 and eth8 for Intel card
> and the eth1 becomes Dlink card

what are the contents of your /etc/network/interface?

> I don't configure the /etc/network/interface
>
> how debian configure the card in eth0.1..2.3
> and
> what file in debian to control the card?

oh. yes, you need to configure /etc/network/interface

> I am confused!
>
> 2/ what is function of "allow-hotplug" in the
> /etc/network/interface?
> Sometime I comment it, the card doesn't show up!

allow-hotplug sets the system so that udev controls the network
interface as a pluggable device, like a usb drive might be
controlled. You are probably better served to replace allow-hotplug
<interface> with auto <interface> and a proper

iface <interface> stanza for each connection.

> 3/ When i change the file in /etc/network/interface,
> Can i restart the network without rebooting?
> how?

/etc/init.d/network<tab> restart

or

ifdown -a && ifup -a