Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 03:30:56PM -0600, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Daniel Burrows:

> > > I suspect it may have something to do with some of the stuff "aptitude
> > > -R install foomatic-filters-ppds" did.  I'd never tried using that
> >
> >   NB: passing -R in old aptitudes will remove anything that was
> > previously installed because of a recommendation.  It's probably
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  I suppose I should report a bug on the
> manpage:
>
>    -R Do not treat recommendations as dependencies when installing new
>       packages
>
> It says nothing about removing stuff that's already here.

What if until you pass the -R you had been having aptitude include
recommends as automatic installs.  You haven't since gone and marked the
ones you want to keep as manually installed.  Now you tell it to not
include recommends; it will re-evaluate the dependancies and mark for
automatic removal of packages that are marked automatic but that were
only installed to meet recommended dependancies.

Where's the bug.  Its doing _exactly_ what you asked.  If you want more
control, run the program without any parameters and set your options
from there and see what it wants to do.  Tweak as necessary before you
tell it to 'g'o ahead.

Doug.