Re: Debian only sees 885.5 MiB memory

On June 15, 2007 12:33:04 pm Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007 16:46, arijit sarkar wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 08:02 -0500, Gary Rosenfeldt wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I recently installed Debian Etch on my desktop system.  My mobo is an
> > > abit nf-7s with nforce2 chipset.  I have 1 gig of ram installed but
> > > debian only sees 885.5 MiB of my ram.  Fortunately, I'm not
> > > experiencing any stability issues.  Anyone know the cause of this
> > > oddity.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Gary
> >
> > It's obvious, your motherboard has 128mb shared memory. So debian sess
> > only 885.5 mb.
> > I also have 1gig RAM and 128 mb as shared graphics memory. My 'system
> > monitor' shows ~885mb.
> > check out your BIOS settings. :-)
> >
> > --
> > Arijit Sarkar
> > Kolkata, India
>
> That's interesting. I was booted up in Lenny using the 2.6.11 kernel, and
> usually see Gkrellm showing 885Mb of my 1Gb RAM. I've since rebooted with
> the 2.6.17 kernel , and with that kernel, Gkrellm is showing the full
> 1005Mb of RAM. The onboard graphics card is a Cyberbladei1 (trident
> driver).
>
> Quite why booting with the 2.6.11 shows 885Mb, and booting with the 2.6.17
> shows 1005Mb is a bit bizarre. Probably some kernel thingy.

Yes it is a kernel thingy around the .15, .16, .17 time I can't recall which
first had it but there was a patch called the 1gb lowmem which you could
apply to allow a machine with 1gb of ram use all of it as lowmem instead of
having to use the highmem option this patch was incorporated into the
mainline kernel so you no longer had to patch it yourself to get all your
memory. For your udev situation I see in another post you can always
compile/install your own kernel which will not have a dependency on it this
is what I do so I don't have to use it or try making a udev rule(s) to assign
your /dev/video? devices the same everytime.

> Nigel.

Stephen

--
GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc