Re: Debian only sees 885.5 MiB memory

On Friday 15 June 2007 16:46, arijit sarkar wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 08:02 -0500, Gary Rosenfeldt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently installed Debian Etch on my desktop system.  My mobo is an
> > abit nf-7s with nforce2 chipset.  I have 1 gig of ram installed but
> > debian only sees 885.5 MiB of my ram.  Fortunately, I'm not
> > experiencing any stability issues.  Anyone know the cause of this
> > oddity.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gary
>
> It's obvious, your motherboard has 128mb shared memory. So debian sess
> only 885.5 mb.
> I also have 1gig RAM and 128 mb as shared graphics memory. My 'system
> monitor' shows ~885mb.
> check out your BIOS settings. :-)
>
> --
> Arijit Sarkar
> Kolkata, India

That's interesting. I was booted up in Lenny using the 2.6.11 kernel, and
usually see Gkrellm showing 885Mb of my 1Gb RAM. I've since rebooted with the
2.6.17 kernel , and with that kernel, Gkrellm is showing the full 1005Mb of
RAM. The onboard graphics card is a Cyberbladei1 (trident driver).

Quite why booting with the 2.6.11 shows 885Mb, and booting with the 2.6.17
shows 1005Mb is a bit bizarre. Probably some kernel thingy.

Nigel.