Re: Debian only sees 885.5 MiB memory

Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:

> Quite why booting with the 2.6.11 shows 885Mb, and booting with the
> 2.6.17 shows 1005Mb is a bit bizarre. Probably some kernel thingy.

Due to my interest in booting Linux on a system with 16 MB memory[0], I
have been reading a bit about the kernel's memory management. Seems
that some older kernels (don't remember if they were older 2.6 versions
or 2.4) only show up to about that amount (885MB) on some older
CPU-chipset combinations. If you can't upgrade to the latest and
greatest[1], I would suggest looking around for some kind of memory
boundary issue with >1GB of RAM. Another thing to try is using a
-highmem kernel.

Hope this helps.

[0] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/294020
[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.21.5

--
Andrew J. Barr

Woke up in my clothes again this morning,
don't know exactly where I am...