Re: From FreeBSD 6 to Debian 4

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:27:54AM +0200, Philippe Lang wrote:

> I have just installed a new Debian Etch server, supposed to replace a
> FreeBSD 6 server soon.
>
> There are a few things I miss on the Debian box, and I wonder if there
> is a way of having that on Debian too:
>
> 1) First of all, there is a nice feature under FreeBSD: on a shell,
> command history can be filtered with a few characters, when using the up
> arrow. For example, if you rember you restarted a deamon before, you can
> type "/etc/i" and then press the up arrow key. Only past command that
> start with "/etc/i" appear, like "/etc/init.d/apache2 restart".

Sounds like a function of the shell.  You can do two things: install
that shell and use it, or get to know bash.

Also FYI, debian is going through a bit of a transistion when it comes
to documentation.  The Debian Free Software Guidelines (part of, or at
least related to, debian policy) are in conflict with the newer GNU
documentation licence (re unmodifiable sections).  The upshot of which
is that some documentation that one would think would be in main are
actually in non-free.  To get it, put non-free in your
/etc/apt/sources.list.

> ------------
> ------------
>
> 2) Under freebsd, ports can be checked against vulnerabilities with a
> simple command:

How does your freebsd box know today's vulnerabilities?  It probably
accesses the freebsd repository.  On debian, you do and aptitude update.
I always run aptitude interactively (just type aptitude with no
arguments), then hit 'u' to update.  When its finished, if there are any
security updates, there will be a section right at the top called
"security updates".  You can also subscribe to the debian security
announce mailing list to get email warnings.

> 3) Under FreeBSD, you get every morning a security output email, that
> shows all particular events that happend the day before. It looks like:

With debian you have some choices.  To check your log there are packages
like logcheck.  To check file integrity there are things like tripwire
or samhain.  For other security checks there is tiger.  Lots of choices.

All these choices mean that you need to get comfortable with aptitude
(get the aptitude-doc package) and its search patterns.

Welcome to debian.

Just curious: what induced you from freebsd to debian?

Doug.