Re: Update -- maybe troubles in advance...

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 02:57:57PM -0300, Altamir Dias <altamir@emc.ufsc.br> was heard to say:
> I got in troubles when I tried to update debian this week. I use dselect
> to do that. When I used "dselect install", it uninstall several gnome
> packages.

  Are you running stable, testing, or unstable?

> Please, don't try to say to use aptitude or automatic Ubuntu tool to
> upgrade my system . I think both tools are not so transparent as dselect
> and apt-get about I`m doing in the upgrading.

  Just for me, could you run

    aptitude -s dist-upgrade

  on a system with problems and send the output?  I promise it won't
actually do anything (you can even run it as non-root), but it might
give me some clues about why this is happening.

    Thanks,
  Daniel