Re: Basic SELinux Question

Telly Williams wrote:
Hi,

I was going to use an SE Linux mailing list for this, but, figured I'd ask on this list first, figuring that I may have a better chance of not getting a biased answer.

I've heard all of this "talk" about how secure SE Linux is. However, how secure can this thing be if it has been developed by the NSA? I mean, wouldn't THEY know how to get into your computer? And, it's the NSA! If this question sounds elementary, it's because I'm still learning how to secure my computer(s). I'm not a nihilist, just a little skeptical of how secure SEL is in reality (and the NSA). Thanks. ~Telly

Given how invasive American and British politicians and bureaucrats have become, I think that this is a very reasonable question to ask. As for any specific answer about the guts of SE Linux, I cannot comment (lack of technical aptitude). Nonetheless, I would suggest that if the Raymond's ( http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/community/cathedral/whitepaper_cathedral-1.html ) idea of "many eyes makes shallow bugs" applies, then it is unlikely that the NSA have been able to install back door through which they can monitor the goings on of your machine.

But ... I could be wrong ... or I could be an NSA plant, intending to psychops you with disinformation.

:-)