Re: error while loading shared libraries

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:25:08 +0200
Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> > > After upgrading, I have the following problem when trying to execute some
> > > programs, e.g. "ls":
> > >
> > > $ ls
> > > ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared
> > > object file: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > [Same problem with many other programs ("locate", "find", "su", ...).]
> > >
> > > I noticed that not all users are affected: Logged in as one user, the
> > > problem is there; logged in as another, everything is fine!
> > >
> > > [I'm using "lenny/sid".]
> > >
> > > Running "ls" (after setting the environment variable "LD_DEBUG=libs") shows
> > > that "/lib" is not searched, although the libraries are there indeed (hence
> > > the error).
> > >
> > > How come that the search path is different for different user?
> > >

> > very weird, first looks like it's lost but seconds looks like the shared
> > object it's there, but one thing is shure, the file /etc/ld.so.conf holds
> > all paths relative to the system libs, i'm not expert but do you change
> > permissions from this file recently?
> >

> # ls -l ld.so.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 144 Jun  6 17:10 ld.so.conf
>
> # cat /etc/ld.so.conf
>
> /usr/lib/libc5-compat
> /lib/libc5-compat
> /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/lib
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/local/util-vserver/lib
>
> include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
>
> ls -al ld.so.conf.d/
> total 14
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   88 Jun  6 17:10 .
> drwxr-xr-x 154 root root 9728 Jun 14 19:28 ..
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root   64 Feb 21 16:00 i486-linux-gnu.conf
>
> # cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i486-linux-gnu.conf
> # Multiarch support
> /lib/i486-linux-gnu
> /usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu
>

> I did a major upgrade (including "libc6"), had to rerun "apt-get upgrade"
> several times. When I first noticed the problem, all users seemed to be
> affected, then, when all packages were upgraded, some accounts behaved
> correctly again, but not all!  Weird indeed...
>
> And no, I didn't change the permissions.
> [Now, I've just tried to add a line with "/lib" in "ld.so.conf", ran
> "ldconfig", but it doesn't work any better.]
>
> Best,
> Gilles
>

> --
Looks like a bug for me in the update system, well, if all relative paths are already in ld.so.conf then must work in theory, look, normaly librt it's in /usr/li,b so add this path too and try again, ah when you run

ldd $(which ls)

what's the output with root and the other users?

Regards,
Orestes.