Re: crob chgrp

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:14:45PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > I agree.  That should really be handled using famd.
>
> *IF* it were needed to be changed when files appeared there then I
> would agree to go with famd.  It is a good suggestion in that case.
> But I really don't think there is a need for this that can't be
> handled by appropriate application of set-group-id directories and
> groups to avoid the problem entirely.  I see the question as an
> indication of a design problem that could be avoided by doing it
> completely differently.

The main problem with your suggestion is that the default umask of 022
doesn't do any good even if your directory is group sticky.  You would
need a umask of 002.  But, depending on the structore of other things on
your machine/network you may not want that for other reasons.  Anyhow,
the nice thing about using fam is that you can have it trigger when the
file appears (is created or moved in) and then it does not need to be
done again.

Regards,

-Roberto

--