Re: [OT] A significant negative impact on Linux's popularity?

Zach wrote:

> There
> are millions and millions of MS Windows uers who can't do much beyond
> checking email, surfing the web and playing games and then millions
> more who are what I call 'corporate users; they only do certain tasks
> using involving Office. The typical Linux user tended to be more savvy
> and educated about the OS though with Ubuntu and similar efforts this
> is probably degrading. One can argue if this is good or not for Linux.

I disagree. Being able to use a system without knowing all the intricacies,
nuances is IMHO the sign of maturity of the "technology". If someone knows
all the inner details, good for them. But that should not be a requirement.

Using the automobile analogy, in the old days, the drivers of automobile
should know a lot about cars so that they can fix it in case something
breaks on their trip to the mall. Now a days, the drivers are not required
to know everything under the hood. If the driver knows about it, it's good
for them. But it is not a requirement.

hth
raju

--