Re: Prolific USB-Serial converter trouble

Celejar(celejar@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use a USB-serial converter with an external (RS232),
> hardware modem.  The converter is a no-name, Asian brand with the
> Prolific 2303 chipset.  I'm trying to get it to work with the pl2303
> driver.  Using the in-kernel version (2.6.21, built with make-kpkg from
> the Debian source package), the driver builds and loads and
> creates /dev/ttyUSB0, but communication with the modem doesn't work (I
> have used this US Robotics Sportster successfully on a different system
> that has an actual serial port).  The included driver CD contains what
> seems to be an older version of pl2303, which I haven't yet tried.
> This site [0] suggests that some apparent 2303 are really 2303X and
> need a patch to work, but I tried the patch against my 2.6.21 sources,
> and patching failed.  The site seems old; perhaps the code has been
> integrated into the mainline kernel?  The CD suggests that it may
> indeed be a 2303X, but it isn't entirely clear.  Does anyone have any
> experience with these things, or any suggestions about getting them to
> work?

I am using a simular Asian brand adapter, with an older GPS unit, on
the 2.6.18 kernel which includes the pl2303 driver.  When it's
plugged in, the usbserial and pl2303 modules are loaded.  Is yours doing
the same?  Sorry but thats all I can think of.

Wayne

--
Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and
used.