Re: Prolific USB-Serial converter trouble

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:15:53 -0400
Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com> wrote:

> Celejar(celejar@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to use a USB-serial converter with an external (RS232),
> > hardware modem.  The converter is a no-name, Asian brand with the
> > Prolific 2303 chipset.  I'm trying to get it to work with the pl2303
> > driver.  Using the in-kernel version (2.6.21, built with make-kpkg from
> > the Debian source package), the driver builds and loads and
> > creates /dev/ttyUSB0, but communication with the modem doesn't work (I
> > have used this US Robotics Sportster successfully on a different system
> > that has an actual serial port).  The included driver CD contains what
> > seems to be an older version of pl2303, which I haven't yet tried.
> > This site [0] suggests that some apparent 2303 are really 2303X and
> > need a patch to work, but I tried the patch against my 2.6.21 sources,
> > and patching failed.  The site seems old; perhaps the code has been
> > integrated into the mainline kernel?  The CD suggests that it may
> > indeed be a 2303X, but it isn't entirely clear.  Does anyone have any
> > experience with these things, or any suggestions about getting them to
> > work?
> >

> I am using a simular Asian brand adapter, with an older GPS unit, on
> the 2.6.18 kernel which includes the pl2303 driver.  When it's
> plugged in, the usbserial and pl2303 modules are loaded.  Is yours doing
> the same?  Sorry but thats all I can think of.

Thanks, but the stuff in /var/log/messages looks fine:

> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd
>  and address 2
> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbseria
> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Drive
> r core
> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial suppo
> rt registered for pl2303
> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: pl2303 2-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: usb 2-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303
> Jun 13 09:32:44 lizzie kernel: drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB
> to serial adaptor driver

After much Googling and frustration, I'm near a conclusion that I have
a defective unit; normally it apparently "just works".  Incidentally, I
tried using it under Windows, but the driver installation repeatedly
crashed the system, requiring hard reboots ...

> Wayne

Celejar