Re: Which hardware for saving backups?

On 06/12/07 06:20, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>  said:
I recommend having 2 (or more) drives off-site, each older than the other.

Isn't that going to be hard to achieve?  How can they each be older
than the other?  It'd be like you being older than me and me being older
than you, both at once.

The *data*, silly, not the drives.

Take 4 drives, and give each a number (#1..#4).

Week 0, drive #1 gets the current backup.
Week 1, drive #1 is moved off site and #2 gets the current backup.
Week 2, drive #2 is moved off site and #3 gets the current backup.
Week 3, drive #3 is moved off site and #4 gets the current backup.
Week 4, drive #4 is moved off site and #1 returned and gets the
                 current backup.
Week 5, drive #1 is moved off site and #2 returned and gets the
                 current backup.
etc
etc
etc.

Did I *really* have to explain something that data centers have been doing since most of us were in diapers?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA