Re: Which hardware for saving backups?

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
To protect users from their own errors, you could just backup to
/var/local/backup on your existing raid5 array.

To protect the raid5 array, add a spare drive on a different controller
if possible to provide some failover.  Add two for raid1.

If you have a spare computer, backup to that.  This could be your
workstation.  Add a drive or two (for raid1 there).  Have it on a
separate power supply/UPS/whatever.

You mean separate power supply for additional drive(s)? Is it to switch it off after backup is finished?
Then, external USB makes sense.  Get three: one hot, one on-site cold,
one off-site cold for disaster.  Have you found an external USB drive
that takes 270 GB or will you have multiple drives and use your backup
software for volume management?

I found an external USB drive with 320GB. I was thinking to buy one for beginning. But now I might buy more.
Did you mean:
one hot - all the time connected to workstation?
one on-site cold - not connected but at the faculty?
one off-site cold - not connected located outside of the building?

If you want, you could set up a dedicated backup server and offer backup
services to the whole faculty :)

This would be best and might become my next step, I just have to talk with the IT guys first.

Thanks,
Mitja