Re: Which hardware for saving backups?

On 06/11/07 04:40, Mitja Podreka wrote:
Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
To protect users from their own errors, you could just backup to
/var/local/backup on your existing raid5 array.

To protect the raid5 array, add a spare drive on a different controller
if possible to provide some failover.  Add two for raid1.

If you have a spare computer, backup to that.  This could be your
workstation.  Add a drive or two (for raid1 there).  Have it on a
separate power supply/UPS/whatever.
You mean separate power supply for additional drive(s)? Is it to switch it off after backup is finished?
Then, external USB makes sense.  Get three: one hot, one on-site cold,
one off-site cold for disaster.  Have you found an external USB drive
that takes 270 GB or will you have multiple drives and use your backup
software for volume management?
I found an external USB drive with 320GB. I was thinking to buy one for beginning. But now I might buy more.

Don't buy a "prepackaged" external drive!

Buy the enclosure and drive separately. You'll save money and can choose the optimum sized drive for your needs.

If you are doing backups for many faculty, a multi-drive FireWire 800 enclosure filled with 750GB drives might be what you need, instead.

Did you mean:
one hot - all the time connected to workstation?
one on-site cold - not connected but at the faculty?
one off-site cold - not connected located outside of the building?

No need for options "1" and "2". If you only do these restores a few times a month, walking down the hall to get the drive isn't that difficult.

I recommend having 2 (or more) drives off-site, each older than the other. Rotate them along with your on-site drive.

That way, you always have a current backup, a week old backup, two week old backup, etc, etc.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA