Re: IceWeasel crash my debian laptop

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:30:20PM +0800, jeffry s wrote:

> >On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 08:51:32PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >>

> >does this problem occur with other browsers such as
> >konquerer? how about with another gecko based browser (iceape?)?
> i only have iceweasel installed. i do not try with other browser yet..

well, before you go blaming iceweasel, make sure it only happens in
iceweasel.

> >and don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should build your app
> >so you can't select columns that dont exist?
>
> it is my testing laptop and not my real production server.
> I made a typing mistake sometimes (forget column is common as i have many
> database table in my database)..
>
> >Also, what about strace'ing your firefox session to see what its
> >doing?
> can you tell me how to stracing firefox session?

strace iceweasel

man strace

> >how quickly does it take over? maybe keep a VT logged in for that
> >quick switchaway and kill ...
>
> in a few minutes 5, 6 ... i try to record the time when i came home tonight.
> by tommorow, send you result.

I don't personally care how long it takes, but if it really takes 5 or
6 minutes, what prevents you from closing the app, or doing some other
action to mitigate the problem.

> what is VT log?

VT = virtual terminal. as in Alt-F1 throu Alt-F6. the command line
interface outside of X. If you keep your self logged in to one of the
VT's, sometimes it can be more responsive to switch to that VT and
quickly kill an offending process, especially if X is becoming
unresponsive.

> I can successfully replicate this 100%.. I just wonder if it is because of
> the sessions. It share connection with my application.
> i still figure out how to workaround this one..

I don't know what you mean when you say "sessions". What sessions are
you talking about? I'm beginning to suspect that this is likely a
problem with whatever webpage or application you are
building. Granted, the rest of the system should probably handle it
more gracefully...