Re: Which hardware for saving backups?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 12:25:49PM +0200, Mitja Podreka wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

> >>You mean separate power supply for additional drive(s)? Is it to
> >>switch it off after backup is finished?

No, I mean that if you use a separate computer that it be plugged into a
separate circuit via a separate panel on a UPS separate from the
computer that you are backing up.

> >>I found an external USB drive with 320GB. I was thinking to buy one
> >>for beginning. But now I might buy more.
> >
> >Don't buy a "prepackaged" external drive!
> >
> >Buy the enclosure and drive separately.  You'll save money and can
> >choose the optimum sized drive for your needs.

For single drives, look at addonics Jupiter (for 2.5" laptop drives) or
Saturn (for 3.5" drives).  The Jupiter has some shock-absorbing so that
the drive is supposed to withstand a 1 m drop.  Useful for off-site
backup to a bank's safety deposit box.

If you don't need the off-site, they also make different enclosures with
various adapter cards.  E.g. a 5-bay enclosure with its own power supply
and hardware raid controller that will look to your computer like one
big drive.

A neat thing about the addonics is that they will connect to SATA,
eSATA, USB, FireWire, or IDE just by changing the cable.

I haven't used them but when I'm ready for external (non-CD) backup
that's likely what I'll do.

> >If you are doing backups for many faculty, a multi-drive FireWire 800
> >enclosure filled with 750GB drives might be what you need, instead.
> I don't need a big solution, although it might be used also for other's
> faculty needs. I'm in charge just of one server since our IT guys  have
> no idea of Linux.
> How much backup space do I need for 270 GB of disk space?

It depends on how compressable the backup is and what compression
algorithm you use.  gzip is relatively fast and pretty good. Bzip2 is
far slower but compresses a bit more.  You'd have to try both and
compare time-to-complete and size of archives produced.

As for the size of drive to buy, find the sweet spot.  (Drive +
enclosure) / GB.  My guess is that it will likely be cheapest at around
500 GB for a 3.5" drive and a bit smaller and more money for 2.5"
drives.  The smaller physical size only matters if your storage space is
constrained.  If you're going with a fixed multi-drive enclosure you'll
probably use 3.5".

Something to consider:  The price of an external multi-drive enclosure
with cables would probably cost more than an old spare computer (PII?)
plus a decent PCI ethernet card.  I did that with my 486 but with ISA it
only does 10-T ethernet.

Poke around the school.  You may be surprised what old computers are
around that work perfectly for what you want.

Doug.