Re: Revert to simple Window Manager

On 11/06/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 11:29:39AM +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> Replying on the list as this may end up in more learning for me as well.

Thanks and your post more than justified my faith in collective wisdom
available on the list.

[SNIP]
> As far as only use of alternative display managers is concerned you
> can just do apt-get install icewm or xfce4 or matchbox.

the *dm's are not "X servers" the X server is X itself (currently x.org,
was xfree86 in sarge). the *dm's are "Desktop Managers" and they do a
number of things: control login, setup x sessions, and ultimately
launch some window manager and various acoutrements to go with it.
[SNIP]

Thanks again for lots of things to try out and enhance my knowledge.
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar