Re: Revert to simple Window Manager

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 09:08:58AM -0600, Telly Williams wrote:
[snip how to remove gnome and get back to GUI login and startx]

>     I appreciate the bit about links2; I was using lynx.
>
>     Off-question: Is this also the kind of minimal set-up that one would
> use to run an Apache server?  I imagine that you wouldn't want a
> headless server, but, that a non-GUI set-up would be the next best
> thing.  I'm not sure if this is the proper question for this mailing
> list, but it spins off of earlier replies about Window Managers. ~Telly

I still use lynx too; haven't been able to get links2 to view .gz files.

Nothing wrong with headless servers and servers themselves have no need
for X at all; X just adds security concerns.  So yes, you configure just
a basic CLI system and forgo X servers.  Even a headless box still has
to have a console for when things go wrong.  On real servers now,
apparently even the BIOS has an http server so you access it via the
net.  Before that, it was serial consoles to a workstation.

It can have X apps on it; you would ssh in from another box
(workstation) running X and the app runs on the server but shows on the
workstation.

As far as apache itself, I don't know since I've never run it.

Doug.