Re: shell or fileutils commands and whitespaced filenames

Michael wrote:
thx Bob. (Is there any list you're not subscribed :)

Using 'null' is slightly shorter than my 'sed' command...but somehow i can't help it's still not really straight enough. Doing complicated things just to have quite common formatted filenames handled, is so *uncool* for a modern shell !
Could you supply a reference for this "modern shell" you're referring to? I don't know of any shell (UNIX, Linux or MS Windows) that doesn't require some form of quoting in order to handle white space in file names.

Thanks.

Bob
If there's really no other way, then do you know of a different shell can maintain whitespace names just automatically ? I'd even move to csh if i knew it works better there.

--micha

bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx):
Try using find and xargs.  Here are some examples.
  find . -print0 | xargs -r0 chmod a+rX