Re: KDE clock showing 1 hour ahead (on-going)

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 09:21:56AM +0100, andy wrote:
> andy wrote:
> >andy wrote:

> >>Thanks Andy
> >>
> >>I sudo tzconfig and adjusted it specifically to Europe/London then
> >>entered sudo hwclock --systohc and after a pause got a message back
> >>"select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out"
> >>I rebooted the machine, and saw the same message in the closing
> >>messages when it reached the point about saving system time. Checked
> >>in the BIOS, which is giving the correct time. Loaded KDE and went to
> >>configure the clock and it still reports TZ as Guernsey. I ran
> >>tzconfig again and this time it reported /Europe/London.
> >>Unfortunately, the clock is still 1 hour ahead, despite this.
> >>
> >Some additional info on this. It would appear that it is a bug in
> >Ubuntu Dapper ( linux-source-2.6.15 ):
> >
> >https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/43661/+viewstatus
> >
> >"Dapper seems unable to read or set my RTC on an IBM/Lenovo X60 thinkpad.
> >The BIOS shows the hardware clock to be several hours different to the
> >Linux clock." This is as far as the similarity goes though.
> >
> >It also looks like Dell laptops have kicked up a series of related
> >errors, but my wife's machine is not a Dell.
> >
> >I'd want to post this as a bug, but I don't get the impression that
> >many others are experiencing this fault. If it is related to the RTC,
> >I have no idea how to fix that up.
> >
> >Any clues?
> >
> Following up on Andy's suggestion, I entered hwclock --directisa
> --systohc at the command line as sudo. No error messages were reported
> and the command line prompt returned.
>
> However, I'm not clear on the second part of Andy's suggestion. How do I
> pass HWCLOCKPARS="--directisa" to /etc/default/rc5 ?
>
> Any pointers, please?
>
> Thanks

A more general point - you, and I, need to read up on the way that
Debian does the init scripts :)

Try editing

	/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh
and

	/etc/init.d/hwclockfirst.sh

They are well commented and HWCLOCKPARS is one of the first lines :)

(You _might_ be able to do it just by passing the appropriate
environment variable - but this early in the boot sequence I wouldn't
like to bet on it and it's a one-off edit0

These, in turn, are called from the start up script
at
	/etc/init.d/rcS.d/S11hwclock.sh

so you might want to edit that one as well :)

Does this help?

Andy (Cater) since there are two andys talking to one another here
and it gets confusing :)