Re: Printers won't run

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 19:16:01 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 09:24:08 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
[ snip: We are trying to solve a problem with CUPS when printing on a
  remote printer which is shared on a Windows machine. ]
Seems to work fine.

dgwicks:~$ smbclient -N -L joyce
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[PINEYWOODS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
[...]
HPDeskjet       Printer   HP Deskjet 6500 Series
[...]
This is a "home" network so I don't use ids or passwords. They would just unnecessarily complicate things.
Try to change the DeviceURI in /etc/cups/printers.conf to
DeviceURI smb://guest@joyce/HPDeskjet
or
DeviceURI smb://guest@pineywoods/joyce/HPDeskjet
and check if that improves the situation. You have to restart CUPS after
you make a change to the configuration files; to do this, run:
invoke-rc.d cupsys restart
(If this does not work try uppercase letters for user, workgroup and
 server.)
Florian,

None of those things made any difference. the HPDeskjet would not go ready and would not print. Nothing appeared to change. All the messages
in the error log looked the same. I didn't run diff on them, but I
didn't notice anything obviously different.

I did notice a couple of things.

In the error log are a lot of messages that say

     cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.

The error_log that you put on the web has 746 lines with this message
and furthermore 570 lines with

cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!

If I set the loglevel to debug and print one page on our SMB-shared
network printer I get 20 lines with "No authentication ..." and 0 lines
with the message about the certificate. I have never used a network
printer that did not require full user/password credentials, therefore I
do not know if what you see is normal for your guest/anonymous login
configuration.

And the HPDeskjet is referred to as

     //localhost/printers/DeskJet-6540

When I check the HPDeskjet properties from the various places it does
appear that it is recognized as being a remote printer on //joyce though.

I think that is normal. As far as your Linux system is concerned, the
printer is called "DeskJet-6540" and it can be accessed via CUPS on
localhost. (Note that these DeviceURIs start with ipp:// and not with
smb://.) Only the SMB backend of CUPS needs to know where to send the
print jobs in the end.

Let's try something else: Point your browser of choice to

http://localhost:631/printers/

and check the Printer State for DeskJet-6540. If it says "stopped" then
you should see a green "Start Printer" button in the row of buttons
below the printer properties and status messages. Try to start the
printer again. (You will be asked for a username and password; either
use root or your normal account if you are a member of the "lpadmin"
group.) Can you start the printer? Does it stop again if you try to
print the next job? You might have to use "Cancel All Jobs" to clear the
print queue.

Florian;

Initially it says "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed" right after the printer name. Then "Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs, published."

I clicked the green start button and after a few screen flashes I get
"Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published."

I printed a web page, refreshed the LPS screen and then it says

  DeskJet-6540 "/usr/lib/cups/backend/SMB failed"
  Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs, published.

I reset everything and tried printing a page w/ABIWord. The "SMB failed" message appeared, but the printer didn't stop and didn't print anything.
Everything seemed to be in limbo. I canceled the job after about 5 minutes.

Then I reset everything and tried printing a plain text file from gedit. Same thing. No difference at all.

I am getting discouraged. It will probably turn out to be a Windows problem!

Thanks for the help!

Dennis