Re: Etch sasl weirdness

Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
Sorry for the delay in replying.

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:31:17PM +0100, Hans du Plooy wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm setting up an Etch server for postfix with smtp auth. I changed /etc/default/saslauthd so that the mux file gets made under /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd. I restarted saslauthd, and checked that it's working right. It is making the file in the right place, and ps shows me that it is reading the right settings:

Personally, I think that running Postfix in a chroot is more trouble
than it's worth.

So do I. In fact, that turned out to be the root of my problem. The howto I was reading assumed that postfix is running in chroot (as it is by default on Debian), but it wasn't. I remember now when I setup the box initially - about three years ago - I disabled it for some reason, can't even remember what.

connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/saslauthd/mux"}, 110) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Did you try passing the -f switch to testsaslauthd to tell it where the
socket is located?

I didn't. Just tried it and that solved it. Also tried all of the above on a fresh Etch install, and the postfix auth works (because it is chrooted).

What I did notice is that /etc/defaults/saslauthd mentions /etc/saslauthd.conf, but there is no such file. I also don't see a client config file.

Thanks Roberto - you pointed me in the right direction.

Hans