Re: Etch sasl weirdness

Sorry for the delay in replying.

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:31:17PM +0100, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm setting up an Etch server for postfix with smtp auth.   I changed
> /etc/default/saslauthd so that the mux file gets made under
> /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd.  I restarted saslauthd, and
> checked that it's working right.  It is making the file in the right
> place, and ps shows me that it is reading the right settings:

Personally, I think that running Postfix in a chroot is more trouble
than it's worth.

> But I'm getting this:
>
> # testsaslauthd -u user -p password
> connect() : No such file or directory
>
> and when strace it, I see:
>
> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/saslauthd/mux"}, 110) = -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Did you try passing the -f switch to testsaslauthd to tell it where the
socket is located?  The /etc/defaults/saslauthd file is actually read by
the Debian-provided init script in the sasl2-bin package.  The upstream
programs know nothing of that file.  Specifically, the testsaslauthd
program, which is a SASL client, won't know where the socket is if you
have moved it.

> So saslauthd so sasl seems to be ignoring the -m stuff.  If I make a
> symling  /var/run/saslauthd pointing to
> /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd it works fine.
>
> Is this a bug or am I missing something I should have done?

That is one way to deal with the postfix in a chroot issue and not break
other applications.  Other options include taking postfix out of its
chroot or using a local TCP connection.

Regards,

-Roberto

--