Re: problem

Bob McGowan wrote:
walter wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 10:06 +0200, walter wrote:
I've
lost a lot of time and plastic trying to download your dvds, cds. All
corrupt. It seems you or somebody else don't want people know about
your
distro.

What were the problems you experienced ?

Regards,

Bart Martens

I can download ubuntu livecd, gentoo livecd, etc. with `direct download
from ftp' without problems in a couple of hours. I can do the same with
torrent. I know how to burn a cd. With your distro it's imposible for me
do the same, direct, torrent, jigdo or whatever I use. I've tried
downloading your dvds with emule, I've downloaded with emule and burned
hundred of iso images without problem. The two times the debian dvds had
corrupted packets (six dvd in total). And the md5sum say OK!
This is my experience and I have not need of lie you. I am a bit tired
that each time I write to a linux developers they treat me like an idiot
(That's why I became ironic). I repeat I know how download and burn a
cd. If you don't know where's the problem, your problem, it is difficult
I do. And it would be a good new for you that somebody complains about
can't download your distro. After all I am giving a favor telling you
about this.

I've downloaded both CD and DVD images from the Debian servers at various times and have no problems whatsoever burning or using them. However, I now prefer to use the netinst image and download only the packages actually needed or wanted. Have you tried installing that way?

If the MD5 sum is OK, I would assume the problem is not with the download or the server, it's at your end, somehow.

Though it is possible that the original has corruption and that the MD5 sum is based on that corrupted image and so reports a good download. However, if this is true, you would not be the only one (that I know of) making this complaint.

By the way, this particular mailing list has a lot of people on it who may well be developers, but don't work on Debian. We are users, as the list name suggests.

Walter

Is your system giving you any other troubles? The reason I ask is that the first time I tried to install Debian I made several attempts to install it, from multiple CDs and each installation process collapsed at some point. After seeing if I could generalise the problem, I tried to install some old CDs of Slackware and FreeBSD ... each of which also crashed and died during installation. I eventually traced it back to a fried mobo and faulty RAM.
I'm wondering if something similar is going on for you?

Perhaps if you provided us with more info we might be able to help out. For example, what are you currently running, how do you know the discs are corrupted - during installation, at boot time? Do you have problems booting/installing a system that you know is on good discs? Do other files you burn on disc have any problems with corruption? Is your system itself stable or do you get memory problems, hangs, glitches, etc..?

I very much doubt that the problems you are experiencing are the result of any attempt to sabotage your Debian experience - the system and its community is far too anarchic for that kind of centralised vendetta (I think!!) ;-)