Re: I want to install lenny from scratch

On Thursday 07 June 2007 01:05, arijit wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 12:58 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > I ran testing (etch) for about 4 months before it became stable since I
> > had just bought a new computer with SATA and nVidia GB eth.
> >
> > OTOH, recently here I've seen threads about libc6 breaking on lenny.
> > That gives one's computer a heart attack requireing a transplant.  I'm
> > sure it can be fixed if you have a live CD and great knowledge.  When it
> > happend to my 486 upgrading from Sarge to Etch, I had neither.
> >
> > The main purpose of testing is, well, testing.  If you don't need it,
> > why run it?
> >
> > Doug.
>
> Yes, I can understand your point. On a second thought, "is it possible
> to mix up some packages from lenny into my etch box?"
> Because, some latest packages are in lenny can be useful. like, latest
> sun-java (in lenny it's latest) will be helpful for me. also latest
> version of media players, openoffice.
> can I do it? will it be okay?
>
> --
> Arijit Sarkar
> Kolkata, India

Personally, if you have some free harddrive space, or can buy a second
harddrive, I would install another instance of Etch, and put it on
Lenny/testing in /etc/apt/sources.list. You can run your machine as a dual
boot, and then have an Etch install, which you know is ok, and a Lenny
install that can be a bit experimental.

When Sarge went stable, I kept one of the 3 of them on testing/Etch. There
have been some problems. For example, a music app, rosegarden4 disappeared
for about 5/6 weeks on the testing install, and one music app disappeared
completely, never to return, and no longer available for Etch.

Whatever you decide to do, allways have one install that you know is ok. That
way you can collect your e-mails, surf the web, and do whatever other stuff
you use your machine for. The other install, Lenny for example, you can play
around with. if something stops working for a while on Lenny, at least you
have Etch to boot into, and get on with your work.

All the best.

Nigel.