Re: partition table type

Bob McGowan wrote:
Which is why I asked the question. I'm not a hardware engineer or firmware developer, so having others, more knowledgeable than myself in those areas provide helpful info, is good.

No criticism intended. I've posted this type of explanation on various
groups like this a few times in the last several years.

To summarize: Power on reset; jump to and run BIOS; find bootable device by reading first absolute sector of a disk device; based on the value AA55 as the final two bytes, jump to and run the data just read into memory. Up to this point, nothing is specific to any disk partitioning scheme or OS.

If that last bit of code reads an MBR that understands an s390 partitioning scheme, and the code stored in the partition is appropriate for the CPU of the system, it should boot and run?

"I believe he's got it!"

Sorry if that was too much detail.

For hard discs, that's it. The MBR contains the PT; it's all one
piece. The MBR contains three parts: code, PT, marker. Since it's
all one, and gets read in a single piece, then the PT format and
the code match. The only part the BIOS looks for is the marker.

Of course, the OS had also better be able to recognize the PT
portion of the MBR. The MBR sits on the boundary between OS and
BIOS, in a way.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.