Re: I want to install lenny from scratch

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 03:40:04AM +0530, arijit wrote:
[snip: be very careful]
> ok, i'll do that before update.
> I saw in debian-forum, that 'tetsing' is not bad as 'unstable' and
> 'lenny' is usable for regular users now. I can understand that something
> will break sometimes. since I am using linux at my home pc, i am okay
> with that.
> By the way, since I am new to debian, I always plays with it and
> sometimes it breaks even in etch (i am a newbie). so I'll be prepared
> for that.
> anyway thanks for your advice.
> I'll do the transition after evaluting my all options.

I ran testing (etch) for about 4 months before it became stable since I
had just bought a new computer with SATA and nVidia GB eth.

OTOH, recently here I've seen threads about libc6 breaking on lenny.
That gives one's computer a heart attack requireing a transplant.  I'm
sure it can be fixed if you have a live CD and great knowledge.  When it
happend to my 486 upgrading from Sarge to Etch, I had neither.

The main purpose of testing is, well, testing.  If you don't need it,
why run it?

Doug.