Etch: Gnome, Hal & Iomega Clik 40

Hello,

I've recently acquired an Iomega Clik! 40 (aka PocketZip) PCMCIA drive
and a few disks with a slick looking silver case.

http://paulbristow.net/main/2002/02/24/clik/

If you know the device, have looked it up, or guessed the 40 means 40
Mb, you're probably thinking "what a useless device, you can pick up CF
cards with more memory from the local discount rack." I acknowledge this
and offer no rational explanation for wanting to get this to work
better. It's just something to try and an opportunity to understand hal
and other systems a little better.

When I insert the PCMCIA card it is recognized. It automatically shows
up in the Computer window next to the other devices, filesystems and
locations in the Gnome desktop. The disks are loaded by a floppy device
driver as /dev/hdc. I can mount /dev/hdc4 by hand just fine. The
automagic ends when I double-click the "External Floppy Drive" icon and
this is where I would like some help.

The attached pmount-error.txt file contains the error displayed on the
desktop when I try double-clicking the drive icon. It looks like it
isn't trying /dev/hdc4. I don't know if this is because of some "auto"
option behaving badly, or if hal isn't merging the contents of
10-ide-drives.fdi no matter where I put it (lshal seems to support this
theory.)

Does lshal include any merged information when showing it's output?

(The attached lshal.txt file shows it's output.)

At first I expected that /usr/share/hal/fdi would be iterated for .fdi
files to load. Then I wondered if I needed to copy files from there to
/etc/hal/fdi. With either lshal doesn't seem to show 4 being appended to
block.device nor is the storage.requires_eject setting set to true.

Any pointers to good documentation on hal (especially anything Debian
specific, if required) or suggestions are appreciated.

--
Jacob
libhal-storage.c 1344 : info: called libhal_free_dbus_error but dbuserror was not set.

error: could not execute pmount

Start monitoring devicelist:
pcmcia__1__1 added
pcmcia__1__1_ide_1_0 added
storage_model_IOMEGA_Clik__40_CZ_ATAPI added

lshal output snipped:
udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_IOMEGA_Clik__40_CZ_ATAPI'
  volume.mount.valid_options = {'ro', 'sync', 'dirsync', 'noatime', 'nodiratime', 'noexec', 'quiet', 'remount', 'exec', 'utf8', 'shortname=', 'codepage=', 'iocharset=', 'umask=', 'uid='} (string list)
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.method_execpaths = {'hal-storage-mount', 'hal-storage-unmount', 'hal-storage-eject'} (string list)
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.method_argnames = {'mount_point fstype extra_options', 'extra_options', 'extra_options'} (string list)
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.method_signatures = {'ssas', 'as', 'as'} (string list)
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.method_names = {'Mount', 'Unmount', 'Eject'} (string list)
  info.interfaces = {'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume'} (string list)
  block.storage_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_IOMEGA_Clik__40_CZ_ATAPI'  (string)
  info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_IOMEGA_Clik__40_CZ_ATAPI'  (string)
  storage.requires_eject = false  (bool)
  storage.hotpluggable = true  (bool)
  info.capabilities = {'storage', 'block'} (string list)
  info.category = 'storage'  (string)
  info.product = 'IOMEGA Clik! 40 CZ ATAPI'  (string)
  storage.size = 0  (0x0)  (uint64)
  storage.removable = true  (bool)
  storage.removable.media_available = false  (bool)
  storage.physical_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pcmcia__1__1'  (string)
  storage.vendor = ''  (string)
  storage.model = 'IOMEGA Clik! 40 CZ ATAPI'  (string)
  storage.drive_type = 'floppy'  (string)
  storage.automount_enabled_hint = true  (bool)
  storage.media_check_enabled = false  (bool)
  storage.no_partitions_hint = true  (bool)
  storage.bus = 'pcmcia'  (string)
  block.is_volume = false  (bool)
  block.minor = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  block.major = 22  (0x16)  (int)
  block.device = '/dev/hdc'  (string)
  linux.hotplug_type = 3  (0x3)  (int)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pcmcia__1__1_ide_1_0'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/hdc'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/hdc'  (string)