Re: Kernel-image upgrade question

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 09:20:55PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 09:01:56PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> >
> > The concern is that if something goes wrong with the upgrade, you may be
> > forced to do a reinstall.  When I tried updating one of my boxes,
> > something bad happened while dpkg was installing libc6 which left the
> > whole system dead since everything but busybox-static needs libc6.
> >
> This is where something like Knoppix can really come to the rescue
> (assuming you run i386).  Though, there are lots of different live CDs
> out there.  I'd find that meets your needs and keep an extra copy laying
> around.

The box in question is a 486 with 32 MB ram.  Can't boot from CD and
doesn't have the memory for anything fancy.  Since the debian installer
doesn't work on that little bit of memory, I'm trying out different BSDs
on it.  To replace it, I put together a PII with 64 MB ram which seems
like close to the minimum to make etch and Xorg run; its tight.

Doug.